Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Salmon Pockets


I happen to love salmon. In fact, I love salmon alot. Tonight for dinner I wanted to try out this recipe that my friend Nicola has on her blog. You can find her wonderful recipes here . They are fantastic mashaAllah. The bulk of the credit for this recipe goes to her for having this dough recipe on her blog. JazakAllah khairn Nicola.
Anyway, I wanted to use her fatayer recipe but I wanted to fill it with something different. So I turned to the can of salmon that had been hiding out in the pantry for some time now. Canned salmon and tomato sauce are two of the few things that I actually use from a can. But feel free to use fresh if you have it. These are so easy to prepare that you will really be surprised that you've spent more time eating them than preparing them. Oh yeah, my kind of cooking. The bread was so tender and the word delicious doesnt even do it justice. My husband ate several of them. As did I. Shhhhh!!!!
Give em a try and I'm sure that you wont be disappointed.


Salmon Pockets

Nicola's fatayer recipe here

1 - 7oz can of salmon
1/2 small onion; finely minced
6-8 cherry tomatoes; finely diced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 garlic cloves
1/4 c. tomato sauce
1-2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
1/4-1/2 c. water
2 tsp. olive oil

Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan. Add onion and tomato. Saute until onion becomes translucent and soft. Keep heat on the med-lo end as you dont want to color the onion.
Once the onions and tomatoes are ready, add in the minced garlic. Saute for a min longer then add in canned salmon breaking it down to a fine mixture. Season with salt, pepper, parsley and tomato sauce. Combine this well.
Pour in 1/4 cup of water and bring to a boil. Mixture shouldnt be soupy but rather moist. Turn heat to simmer and let it cook for a few minutes. Taste for seasoning adjustment. Add more water should you need to.
Let simmer for 10 minutes. Continuously check as you dont want it to go completely dry. The end result should be a moist filling but not soupy. If it is soupy, let it reduce down.
Let this cool completely.
Once it has cooled, follow the instructions for making the pockets in Nicola's recipe.

Bake @ 350 for 20 minutes until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment