Friday, December 10, 2010

Childhood Favorite.....Fish Bites


As I pondered what in the world I was going to do with the cod fillets that were nervously awaiting their fate, I thought, fish sticks. And man oh man did a flood of memories come back. I smile and cringe at the same time.
Growing up in the 80's and 90's with working parents and little time left for much else, frozen fish sticks were the way to go. Im sure my mother would get a little shiver of joy when she realized she had them in the freezer and could cut down her cooking time by popping those in the oven. Frozen and probably rubbery,lol, but we ate em. Now mind you I didnt care for fish as a child. In fact, it wasnt until I got pregnant with my first child that I actually started craving fish. Havent been able to get enough of it since then. Yep, 7 years now. MashaAllah it is so wonderful and healthy. However, I do remember eating those fish sticks for some reason. Not on their own but with Mount Ketchup sitting close by for my dipping pleasure.
Alhamdulila now I am able to offer my kids a much healthier and tastier version of something that so many kids enjoy. Give em a try and inshaAllah your kids will enjoy them as well. Also, I used cod as I think in order to achieve the classic fish stick taste, this is the fish to grab but you may use whatever fish you like or whatever you happen to have on hand. Oh and psst... be sure not to tell them that there is something so good for them inside the crispy crust. That'll be our secret ;)

I served these yummy little bites with oven wedges.



Fish Bites
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (may make your own, see note at bottom)
1/2 cup panko
2 Tbs. wheat germ
2 eggs (may use egg whites only; your preference)
1 tsp water
salt and pepper (according to your taste)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 cod fillets cut into bite size chunks

Mix together the breadcrumbs, panko, and wheat germ. Whisk eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder and water.

Dip each chunk of cod into the egg mixture then transfer to the breadcrumb mixture. Shake off excess coating gently and lay on a plate. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes to allow the coating to dry out. This will make a crisper crust.

Heat 2-3 Tbs of vegetable oil in a large skillet. Pan fry the bites until golden all around and opaque inside. Cooking time will depend on how large your "bites" are.

Serve with ketchup, tartar sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.

** Notes**
To make your own breadcrumbs simply lay slices of bread on a sheet pan. Pop into the oven on a low temperature for an hour or so. Throw in the food processor and breadcrumbs you shall have. Be sure that the oven temp isnt too high as you dont want to toast the bread but only dry it out.

4 comments:

  1. Looks good! Looking forward to more of your yummy recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salaam,

    They look yummy but that is not Mount Ketchup I see in the photo... is that Mount Tartare?

    I have to find out what panko is; no clue whatsoever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waalaikum Salam

    Yep it's tartar sauce. What can I say? I guess my tastes erm....matured. ;)

    Panko is a Japanese style bread crumb. It is unseasoned and much coarser than typical bread crumbs. It holds much better and also gives more of a crunch than that of ordinary breadcrumbs. Give em a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. masha`allah tasha i`m loving this i also do it with pieces of chicken too it makes a nice treat ..... keep up the good work tasha i`m loving it all

    ReplyDelete